I'm participating in Parajunkee's Spooky September Challenge! Today's writing prompt is Top 10 Spookiest Books. These are not in any particular order.
2. Dracula by Bram Stoker. While a bit difficult to read at times, it really is a classic. Some seriously messed up imagery gave me chills.
3. Beautiful Sorrow by Mercedes M. Yardley. This was not just creepy but a beautiful collection of short stories and poems. Mercedes knows how to make dark fiction a masterpiece.
4. Bag of Bones by Stephen King. I listened to this on audio and it was narrated by King. So, there's that. This book is about a writer, Mike Noonan, who has writer's block after his wife's death. He retreats to a town in Maine and collides with the supernatural and a town secret. It has a haunting quality and scares that are expected from Stephen King.
5. Dr. Sleep by Stephen King. A follow up to The Shining, this story follows Danny Torrance into adulthood as he has to battle evil once again in the form of a vampiric cult.
7. Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake. This is a fun YA supernatural thriller. It has ghosts, great characters, and a fun plot.
8. Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. A group of pre-teens in the 60s, fight evil in their hometown. Lots of scares and coming of age moments. Soooo many creepy scenes!!!
10. Pet Sematary by Stephen King. Okay, remember how I said that this list was in no particular order? Well I left this one for last because it scared the living crap out of me. I don't get scared easily, but this was heart thumping, horrifying and at times even cruel.
Have you read any of these books? What did you think of them? What was some of the spookiest books you've ever read?