"...a sub-genre of science fiction, alternate history and speculative fiction...Works of steampunk often feature anachronistic technology or futuristic innovations as Victorian may have envisioned them; in other words, based on a Victorian perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, art, etc."That's quite a lot to work with! I've been hearing whisperings that the genre of Steampunk in the literary field hit it's peak already and is now on it's way out of fashion. Maybe the publishing world is looking for the next big thing, but judging from the Steampunk World's Fair that took place this past May, the movement is alive and kicking. The creativity of people who are fans of Steampunk is off the charts and the coolest thing I found is that everyone is extremely willing to talk to you about their costumes and gadgets. They want to share their knowledge and discuss the creativity and hard work that went into them.
From the very elaborate to the very simple, everyone's ideas and creativity are embraced in the Steampunk culture. The gentleman to the left told me that his costume took a year all together to complete. The gentleman below shows his sense of humor along with a very simple, yet effective idea.
|(l-r) P.J. Schnyder, Stella Price, C.J. Henderson, O.M. Grey, Susan Griffith|
|(l-r) O.M. Grey, Susan Griffith|
|Stephen Segal, Quirk Books.|
|(l-r) Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris|
|(l-r) Co-editor S.J. Chambers & "Magpie" Killjoy: contributor|
"It's...fun, tongue in cheek, but it makes a good point."
"People trying to get past labels."
"A stage upon which the imagination can play."
"One of the challenges is trying to find the line that all the ideas cross."
"Steampunk opens a door."
"A shared aesthetic that's technofantastic."
"Started in literature and morphed."
"Revisit something happening in time and see what could have changed."
"A fun sandbox that lets you ask questions."
Here are a few more pictures from the SPWF:
It's all about the details!
His "glove" opened and closed.
Emperor Norton's Stationary Marching Band had people dancing till the wee hours of the morning.
No need to follow, tweet, link or like. Simply, fill out the contest form HERE.
- This contest is open internationally!
- See my contest policy HERE.
- Giveaway ends Wednesday June 8, 2011 at midnight (EST).
- Winners will be chosen by Random.org.
- You may only enter once. Making a false entry will disqualify you!
- Winners will receive their first choice if available. If not available, they will receive the other book.
- If you do not put your name and shipping address on the form and I cannot contact you within 72 hours, another winner will be chosen.
- If you have any questions, please ask on the comment form or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.