Thursday, July 14, 2011
I took a test once and the result said I would date Harry. Let’s put age aside here and first I'll talk about the kids. While I adore Harry, I don’t think he would be my choice. The three boys that stole my heart in the Harry Potter series are Fred and George Weasly and Neville Longbottom.
1. They are loyal. When everyone was riding Harry about being the heir of Slytherin because he spoke Parseltongue, Fred and George dismissed it. They believed in Harry and had absolutely zero suspicions.
2. They are adorable and charming. I read the books a long time ago so I don't recall this in print, but remember in the movie The Goblet of Fire when Fred calls over to Angelina Johnson in class and asks her to the ball via pantomime? I just loved that!
3. They are brave! Not only did they cut out of school in a raucous display and ruckus and start their own store, they defended Harry with life and limb. I was absolutely devastated when George lost his ear in a fight and doubly so when Fred lost his life. I really wanted to throw a tantrum and hunt down J.K. Rowling. It was bad enough when Sirius was killed…and then Dumbledore! But not Fred too! I mean come on!
I also would totally date Neville. Sweet, unassuming Neville. I love characters who grow in a story. In the start of Harry Potter Neville is shy, awkward and clumsy. He broke his arm, his spells blew up in his face and backfired. Was Neville ever going to get a break? And worst of all, his parents were tortured to insanity by the Deatheaters. But by the end, he is as much of a hero as Harry. Some of my favorite moments with Neville...
1. Neville is so steady. Right from the beginning he shows his integrity. In HP & The Sorcerer's Stone, he tries to stop Harry, Hermione and Ron from sneaking out. He doesn't want them to break the rules and he is not going to give in to peer pressure from them. Even Dumbledore rewards him for this.
2. He is sweet! I don’t really remember this scene in the book, but I loved in the movie Goblet of Fire, he stays late at the Ball dancing the night away. “Me Harry!” Neville tells his friend with wonder. Wouldn’t you just love to spend an evening with Neville? He would be kind, respectful and although quiet, you know what they say, still waters run deep.
3. He is tenacious. Neville is one of the only students at Hogwarts who understands the danger of Voldemart. He practices his spells because he knows it's not a game and he knows the importance of being prepared. When the time came, he was able to fight alongside his friends as a wizard of caliber.
4. He is brave. In the movie The Deathly Hallows pt. 1 when the bad guys came on the train looking for Harry, Neville mouths off to him. Do you think he'd do that in the first movie? In the book The Deathly Hallows, it was Neville who got the band back together, so to speak, and assembled Dumbledore's Army in order to help Harry defeat Voldemort. Then he went on to kill Nagini! Yeah, that’s right! Go Neville!
1. He is protective. Not only did he try to protect Harry's parents, he escaped Azkaban in order to protect Harry. Sirius is very concerned about Harry in Goblet of Fire and gives him advice to help him get through the Triwizard Tournament. In Order of the Phoenix he comes to Harry's aide when he is lured to the Department of Mysteries by Voldemort. He also helps Harry in the Deathly Hallows when he is summoned to help Harry Harry through the Forbidden Forest.
2. I love Sirius's relationship with Harry. He is more than his Godfather, he is a surrogate father. I love their moment together in the movie Prisoner of Azkaban towards the end when they are talking on the hill.
3. He is a romantic tragic hero. He is disowned by his family. He is wrongly imprisoned. When it seems like he might finally clear his name, he is thwarted again. And then!!! He is killed by his cousin Bellatrix Lestrange just when things may start looking up for him by connecting with Harry and his friends again!!! I'm getting choked up and mad all over again just thinking about it! Sirius Black started out a legend in Harry Potter and he ended one as well.
So who is your Harry Potter universe boy or girlfriend?
Posted by Midnyte Reader at 7:35 PM